Whole No. 51
Duck Tracks-Winter 2009 issue includes the following articles:
- Duck Stamp appears on Jeopardy! . . . . October 7, 2008 the clue read..."It quacks me up that the NDSCS is a club for people who collect stamps featuring these.
- Spies wins Federal Duck Contest . . . Wildlife artist Joshua Spies of Watertown, South Dakota, won the 2008 Federal Duck Stamp Art Contest with his depiction of a long-tailed duck.
- Arbitrary Catalog Listings To List or Not to List . . . Immediate Past President Ira Cotton discusses the arbitrary issuance of full catalog listings not being given to duck issues costing more than $50 which results in album supplements not including pages for the sheets.
Find out how to join the National Duck Stamp Collectors' Society
- President's Corner . . . Wes Miller takes over as President and discusses NDSCS issues. Wes calls for nominations for the NDSCS election of officers. Deadline for nominations is March 1, 2009.
- Secretary's Column . . .Tony Monico summarizes society business in his column.
- PSE to Begin Grading Junior Duck Stamps and other Revenues . . . Professional Stamp Experts (PSE) has announced that effective immedicately, they will begin assigning grades to U.S. Revenue Stamps (R-prefix series) and stamps in the Junior Duck Series (JDS-prefix series).
- ....And the winner is . . . as voted by NDSCS members . . . 2007 Best State Duck Stamp - Wisconsin, a beautiful painting of redheads by artist Arthur Anderson; 2007 Worst Stamp Award - Connecticut a black duck by Keith Mueller.
- Michigan Handbook Released . . . A new handbook has been published by Dr. Ira Cotton - Michigan Fish and Game License and Club Badges - a Handbook and Valuation Guide.
- California, Colorado and Massachusetts seek talented artists for contests . . . California will hold a contest to select the 2009 design for the state's duck stamp. For contest information and entry forms, please visit the DFG Web site .
The Colorado Waterfowl Stamp program will hold a contest for original waterfowl artwork to be depicted on the Colorado Waterfowl Stamp. The subject of this year's competition is the Barrow's Goldeneye. Enteries will be accepted until March 6, 2009. For further information, visit the Division of Wildlife website.
The Massachusetts Waterfowl stamp is unique in that it is the only waterfowl stamp series in the country that uses decoys as the annual stamp design. Stamp designs must be of working decoys - ducks, geese or shorebirds - created by known or unknown deceased Massachusetts decoy makers. Entries for the 2010 Waterfowl Stamp Competition must be received by the MassWildlife Westboro Office by June 30, 2009.
- 2006 Duck Stamp Printing Flaw Discovered . . .Bob Dumaine reports that a collector in New Hampshire has discovered a triangular 'flying saucer' printing flaw on RW73A.
- 2008 Federal Duck Stamp Contest . . .Wes Miller accomplished one of his lifetime goals by being selected as a judge for the 2008 Federal Duck Stamp Contest. He writes of his experience and also shares photographs of the event in NDSCS Photo Gallery.
- Sam Houston issues new souvenir sheets . . .A new series of duck stamp souvenir sheets featuring artwork by Ken Michaelsen has been issued by Sam Houston Duck Company of Houston, Texas.
- Remaining minisheets go on sale. . . The remaining 5000 of the 2008-2009 Artist-signed Panes of One featuring the 75th Federal Duck Stamp, a pair of northern pintails by Minnesota artist Joseph Hautman went on sale through the Duck Stamp Program's Fulfillment Center on February 9, 2009. For more information call 1-800-852-4897.
- Gerald Putt wins NC and Pennsylvania. . . Artist Geral Putt's artwork will be featured on the 2009 North Carolina stamp and the 2009 Pennsylvania stamp.
- State Duck Stamp News . . . Barry Julius' painting of a white-wingede scoter drake decoy will appear on the 2009 Massachusetts Waterfowl Stamp.
A pair of wood ducks painted in acrylic by John Denney of Alexander City, Alabama will appear on the 2009 Alabama state waterfowl stamp.
Richad Clifton's painting featuring black ducks will become the 2009 Delaware Duck Stamp.
The common goldeneye painted by Scot Storm will be featured on the 2009 Minnesota Migratory Waterfowl Stamp.
The 2009 Michigan duck stamp will feature a pair of canvasback drakes on an icy pond by Lorna Poulos.
A painting of rainbow trout by Jeffrey Klinefelter of Etna Green, Indiana will appear on the 2009 Delaware Trout Stamp.
- Upcoming Events . . . See NDSCS Bulletin Board.